The Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) program provides winter utility assistance to low-income households targeting those who are truly vulnerable – the lowest-income households with the highest heating costs, the disabled, elderly, and families with preschool-age children. This service is funded through the U.S. Department of Energy Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP).
This assistance is available between November and April. Appointments are scheduled on a first-come first-served basis beginning November 1st.
How to Apply
Option 1: Schedule an appointment
You can schedule an appointment, please call one of the following numbers:
In Box Elder County – (435) 723-1116
In Cache County – (435) 713-1444
In Rich County – 1 (877) 772-7242
Option 2: Apply online, if eligible
You might qualify to submit your HEAT application online. Click here to see if you’re eligible and start the process if you are.
Option 3: Print and send by mail
You may send a completed form, along with copies of all required documents, to the Utah Community Action HEAT Program at the following address: Box Elder County, Bear River Association of Governments Heat Program, 2535 S Hwy 89, Perry UT 84302. Cache County, Bear River Association of Governments Heat Program, 170 North Main, Logan, UT 84321
Download and complete one of the following forms:
HEAT Application (en Español)
If you need help with the application process, please call 435-713-1444.
You will be asked to provide the following documentation:
- Picture Identification: Passport, Current Driver’s License, State ID, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration, Permanent Resident papers.
- Social Security cards for yourself and EVERYONE living in your household.
- A copy of your most recent and active utility bills from each utility supplier (gas/propane/wood/oil, electric).
- Proof of ALL income received by all household members in the month prior to your appointment, or in the month prior to the date the application is mailed or is completed by an outreach worker.
- Proof of medical expenses you paid in the month prior to the month of your appointment.
- Proof of any child support and/or alimony you paid in the month prior to the month of your appointment.
- Proof of disability.
- Proof of a child in the home age five (5) and under (birth certificate, blessing certificate, etc.).
For more information on eligibility and program requirements, please see the State of Utah HEAT ASSISTANCE information page.
Who Qualifies for HEAT
To qualify for HEAT assistance in Cache, Rich, and Box Elder Counties, you must meet the following requirements:
- Must be the person responsible for the utilities
- Must have at least one household member who is a US citizen or qualified alien
- Must have an income at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level
The Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) Program helps families in Cache, Rich, and Box Elder Counties manage their utility costs during the winter. HEAT is a federal program administered by the State of Utah and offers assistance to residents from Nov. 1 to March 31 unless funds run out early.
For information on year-round energy crisis assistance, call 435-752-7242